Because the Sparkling Vintage Life blog has seen an uptick in new subscribers this summer (welcome, and thank you!), I thought it would be a good idea to get to know each other a little better. I’ll start. Here are 12 things about me you might not know, selected at random from the fringes of my mind:
- I used to play the violin. I took private lessons and played in orchestras all through school. However, I never really cottoned to it, thus practiced as little as I could get away with, thus never got to be very good, and frustrated my teachers. Studying the violin did help me acquire a taste for the symphony, though, which I still enjoy, so it wasn’t a total waste. I haven’t touched a violin in years. If I ever did pick it up again, I’d set the classical stuff aside and learn to play mountain-style fiddle A fitting thing, since I live on a mountain.
- I used to play the piano–and still do. Unlike the violin, I enjoy playing piano. I keep a keyboard in my writing room and noodle around on it when I need inspiration or just a break.
- In high school I did Scandinavian folk dancing with the Nordic Folk Dancers.
- My all-time favorite food is peanut butter. I could practically live on the stuff.
- I’m terrible at sports. Really, truly horrible. Not one athletic cell in my body.
- But I love to dance.
- My favorite dead artist is Maxfield Parrish. My favorite living artist is my brother Greg.
- I dream of one day traveling to the U. K., especially the Lake District in England and the Loch Lomond area of Scotland.
- “Lomond” is a form of “Lamont,” a Highland clan. I love our tartan and own a fabulous tartan kilt that, sadly, I don’t fit into. I also love our motto: Ne parcus nec spernus, “Neither spare nor despise,” which is replete with practical applications.
- In college I had a double major in English and French. I spent my junior year of college in Strasbourg, France. That experience is good for a few future novels right there.
- I am a fan of the Oxford comma. Look it up.
- I miss my mom every single day. That’s not a little-known fact. What is little-known is that we shared a love of storybook mice and, thanks to her, I have an impressive collection of mice figurines, Christmas ornaments, and Beatrix Potter books.
So that’s me. What about you? What’s something that few people know about you. Feel free to share a fact or two (or twelve!) about yourself in the comments.